Professional training contracts

Updated on:

Professional training contracts are programmes that allow you to acquire a university certification while facilitating your entry into the workforce.

Photo : To get practice and learn, students have access to mechanical workshops - Gradignan facility © Gautier Dufau
To get practice and learn, students have access to mechanical workshops - Gradignan facility © Gautier Dufau

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for a professional training contract, you must be in one of the following situations:

  • be from 16 to 25 years old
  • be a registered job seeker 26 years old and over
  • receive either the work welfare benefit (RSA), the specific solidarity allowance (ASS) or the disabled adult allowance (AAH)
  • have had a subsidised employment contract (CUI)

You must also have found a host company and have the prerequisites necessary for admission to the training programme selected.

How long does the contract last?

Two contract types are possible:

  • a fixed-term contract (CDD) that must be signed for a 6- to 12-month period
  • a permanent contract (CDI): the professional training must last from 6 to 12 months. At the end of the relevant period, the employment contract continues as a permanent contract subject to common law.

For CDDs and CDIs, professional training periods can be extended up to 36 months by agreement.

How much will you be paid?

The amount you are paid varies based on your age and your initial level of training:

  • if you are under 21 years old: the basic minimum wage is 881.72€/month and the increased minimum wage is 1042.03€/month,
  • if you are from 21 to 25 years old: the basic minimum wage is 1122.19€/month and the increased minimum wage is 1292.50€/month.

Learn more (in French)

What training courses are available?

Check out the catalogue of training courses (in French) available within the framework of work-study programmes.

What steps do you need to take?

  • Contact the relevant continuing education department (in French) to make sure the diploma you are seeking can be covered by a professional training contract and get an estimate of the training costs. 
  • Discuss the professional training contract with the company or non-profit organisation along with your CV, the degree brochure/info (content, course details, schedule) and the estimate. 
  • Arrange to sign the professional training contract directly with the employer.
  • Keep the educational coordinator and the relevant continued education department informed about the steps taken in order to set up the three-party training agreement (university, employer's OPCO and yourself).


Depending on the field of activity you're interested in, contact the relevant continuing education department.

Your contacts (in French)